A practitioner is a human who has "Awakened" and thus become involved in the world of Others and the supernatural. Doing so enables them to interact with the world in a different manner than normal people can at a cost. The typical means of doing so is a ritual where the person makes a contract with spirits that gives them the ability to tangle with supernatural elements at the cost of being unable to lie freely.
Goblins call practitioners "The Wise" in that they are aware of things.
Differences Between Practitioners and Normal PeopleEdit
Practitioners, due to their awakening, have becoming something close to an Other. As practitioners aren't completely human anymore they lose the protections that the unaware have, but by sacrificing their ability to lie without consequences they are able to bend or manipulate the world and their karma to a greater extent than a normal person, who would be subjected to their whims but not able to build up a large surplus or negative of it.
Practitioners can also interact with the Spirit World and see things with Sight that others can't perceive. They can manipulate connections as well as use different arts found in the world. Every act a practitioner does is monitored by Spirits and Others, thus symbolism and flair during actions will have a greater power, things like promises making normal people more inclined to go along with a line of suggestion or belief. Practitioners can learn to intuit other things, often relating to their practice, such as predicting death.
Isadora has also stated that those who often reigned in the past and possessed divine blood or the blood of kings were similar to practitioners and thus had the ability to change the world.
They do not necessarily have the same loyalty to their country that other people do; they would still serve in the armed forces or government if something conflicts with their families interests or prior oaths then their loyalty is questionable.
Types of PractitionersEdit
Practitioners are often categorized depending on their specialty:
- Augur: Diviners the future.
- Chronomancers: Manipulates time and Zeitgeists.
- Dabblers: Users of rudimentary Magic of all kinds.
- Diabolists: Conjurers of Demons.
- Elementalists: Manipulators of the Elements.
- Enchanters/Enchantresses: Manipulators of Connections.
- Evangelists: Summoners of Angels.
- Goblin Kings/Queens: Lords of Goblins.
- Illusionists: Users of Illusions.
- Scourges: Scavengers of Bogeymen.
- Shamans: Users of Spirits.
- Sorcerers: Exceptional users of all Magic.
- Valkyries: Masters of Ghosts, Wraiths & Vestiges