A familiar is its practitioner’s greatest ally and lifelong companion. Familiars serve as both a tool and wellspring for magical energy, and act as ambassadors when dealing with spirits and Others. Fate will conspire to keep the practitioner and their Familiar together unless measures are taken by a third party aware of the connection.
The bond between Familiar and practitioner typically allows the use of their services in exchange for a chance to be mortal, in addition to any other terms which have been negotiated. However, should the familiar be more powerful they can use that connection to seize control over the practitioner. When the contract is made the familiar will take on a different shape. Not all familiars take the form of a living creature, some become inanimate objects.
It is possible, though uncommon, for an Other to be used as both Familiar and Implement. Notably you can only have one familiar in western culture, but eastern culture allows for many, although the relationship is different and closer to that of a lord over vassals and not built on cooperation.
Notable Familiars & Their MastersEdit
- Rose D. Thorburn, Sr. – A large gray housecat.
- Laird Behaim – A mechanical gold/ivory pocket watch with a time spirit.
- Johannes Lillegard – A large Afghan Hound (Faysal Anwar, Gatekeeper of the Seventh Ring)
- Briar Girl – A large beast of some sort, theorized to be more in control of her than she is in control of it.
- Blake Thorburn - A Song Sparrow (Evan, Ghost)
- Joseph Attwell - A person with a disfigured face (Face-stealing Bogeyman)
- Sandra Duchamp - A Stoat (Hildr, Scandinavian Troll)
- Lacey - A possessed human (Vic)